Archives for 2016
When the tomatoes start ripening, I always end up with more than I can eat!!! Here are the few of the ways I process my tomato harvest:
READY TO EAT? Slice, salt, and eat – easy peasy and delicious
Salads – like tomato, onion, olive oil and vinegar – simple and delicious, or add to lettuce salads, chop for tacos or salsa, or make the rest into Tabouli salad
TOMATOES GETTING SOFT?
Slice tomatoes in half, place cut side up on a lightly oiled baking sheet, salt and bake in a low oven until most of liquid is gone and tomatoes look shriveled. Then freeze them on the baking tray once cooled. After frozen, they can be put into a container or freezer bag and you’ll be able to take as many or as little as you need for use in salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes, or sauces. Once sun-dried, tomatoes have a sweet and concentrated flavor.
Step One: Prepare the tomatoes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare tomatoes by rinsing, cutting out the stems and then making an “x” at the bottom of tomatoes with a sharp knife to make peeling the skins off easier.
- Prepare an ice water bath to help the skins come away from the flesh after par-boiling.
- Once water is boiling, add the tomatoes with a spoon to avoid splashing yourself with boiling water. In about a minute or so, you should be able to see the skin peeling away from the flesh. Remove the tomatoes, with the slotted spoon, and place into the ice water bath until cool enough to handle. Remove skins.
- Cut in half and squeeze seeds out of the flesh, then halve again so the tomato is in quarters.
- Use a processor, or use a potato masher, to make crushed tomatoes. and set aside
Step Two: Make the Sauce
- I like meat sauce so I use ground beef, ground pork, or ground sausage and brown that first. I like to drain most of the fat out and meat needs to sear in a pan for the best flavor which is why I prefer to cook it without the onions and garlic.
- Remove meat from pan and add olive oil, chopped onions and a little salt. Cook until onions are transparent over medium low heat. Add chopped garlic and cook just until fragrant then add back the meat and stir together with red pepper flake, pepper, and a little more salt to flavor the meat.
- Now add the prepared tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, and a can of tomato paste if you have it. If I don’t have paste, I leave it out knowing that the sauce will be a little watery.
- For herbs I add dried basil and chopped fresh parsley. If I want an enhanced sausage flavor I add anise or fennel that I crush with a mortar and pestle.
- Cook sauce until thickened. Near the end I add a splash of olive oil and a handful of parmesan cheese.
- Serve over the pasta of your choice with a sprinkle of Fresh sliced basil and more parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Gorgeous Heirloom Glass Locket is made of Gold on Stainless Steel – best quality in lockets. It opens with a screw top to securely hold your gems. Personalized for the bride with a Classic Monogram – Her initial/Surname/His initial. Monogram is handstamped on a 14K Gold fill disc and completed with a hand applied satin finished. Also included is my handmade Infinity symbol in 14K Gold fill – because love is forever. Three Cubic Zirconia Gems representing the Holy Trinity – these are jewelry quality, not glass or crystal. She’ll most certainly cry . . .
Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016)
When I first heard the news of Prince’s passing, I thought it must be a rumor or a joke. Later, when it was confirmed, I went into shock. I work with the tv on so all day I listened to the reports as they happened. Here in Minnesota, where I am originally from, Prince was a really big deal but long before the world fell in love with him, I was catching his shows in a place now called First Ave. I was about 19 when I started listening to Prince – it was before “Little Red Corvette”, “1999”, “Purple Rain”. Back then he wasn’t getting any airplay, most likely due to his explicit lyrics. But I was hooked. Besides being musically talented and an incredible songwriter, he was so sexy, cute and shy . . . and his falsetto – criminal! I would have to guess that “Head” and “Sister” were probably the first songs I heard off his 3rd album Dirty Mind and they were quite shocking. And to me, a punk at the time, it made Prince a punk too. He was cool.
It rained all day on that sad day and then a rainbow appeared over Paisley Park. I think Prince must have done that.
When First Avenue announced that there would be all nite dance parties for the entire weekend I wanted to go. But Thursday nite looked overwhelming – all those people in the streets like Times Square in NY. I had done that, New Year’s Eve in Times Square, and the idea of being around all those people didn’t appeal to me. But when Friday came, I felt like I had to go. I didn’t have anyone to go with so I went alone. I got into town around 12:30. I knew they weren’t going to open the doors until 1:30 – after the scheduled show was over – so I hung out in the bar next door for an hour. At last call I headed out the door and the line had really grown – turning the corner twice. Below is a photo of my view at some point.
I waited in line for about 2 hours. People kept cutting in front of us. I wasn’t about to travel from WI and wait all that time without getting in. I had started talking to some 20 somethings in front of me. When one of their guys walked off I thought maybe he had had enough. But then he came back a few minutes later and said, “I think we can budge”. What do you mean? “I think we can get in, follow me.” And so I did. And sweet boys that they were, they protected me from the crowd. There was pushing and shoving and one guy got taken away in cuffs for being disorderly – he kept trying to start fights. We just stood there and waited – we were on the wrong side of the barrier. Eventually the security got fed up with the pushing and they sprayed something. I had backed off a little so I didn’t catch much of it – just a bit in my nose. But it sent several people sneezing and running away from the door so I got even closer. Within 15 minutes I was in. Success!
It was a great feeling to be inside with all those other people who loved Prince. I danced and walked around – by myself. I hoped maybe I’d run into someone I knew but it didn’t happen and it was ok. I felt like now that I’ve been to this tribute, I can get on with things – go about my business. The photo below is of the IDS lit up in purple. I took the photo in the parking lot. It was dusk – about 5:40. My navigation said I’d be home by 6:30 and I was ready to go home.
It’s taken alot longer to settle in – the idea that I’ll never see Prince again – that he’s left us. I know he’s in a better place but I’m still cryin’ . . .
Love U 2 the moon & Back . . . Sterling Silver Necklace ~ Crescent Moon Cut Out Charm is set with Genuine 1 point Diamond, Hand stamped Message Disc, Initial Disc, and Pink Topaz Briolette. All Metals are Solid Sterling Silver. Oxidized Sterling Chain.
LUX Valentine Gift for her
Save 15% Now on Necklaces, Bracelets, Earrings, and Rings at Dianabostany.com* with Code 15ILUVU or at my Etsy Shop Queeniejewels where the prices are already marked down! Personalized gifts take a few days to create so don’t wait! Shipping upgrades are available in both shops 😉